Gridwise is one of the fastest growing startups in Pittsburgh. We’ve developed a mobile platform that empowers tens of thousands of rideshare drivers across 32 cities and counting, while also improving the way people move about in cities through its data solutions for other mobility stakeholders. We pride ourselves on building a fun, diverse, innovative, transparent, and flexible workplace, with a focus on creating an environment for personal career growth and learning.
To support our rapid growth, we are looking for a backend-focused Software Engineer who enjoys having autonomy in their work, takes pride in seeing their work directly impact the lives of others, and is as ambitious as we are in capturing a multi-billion dollar opportunity in the mobility industry.
As a critical member of the backend Engineering team at Gridwise, you will:
- Lead and own the architectural design, software development, and operational support of core backend systems, services, and applications for the Gridwise platform
- Implement and support scalable, automated cloud infrastructure for our backend services, data stores, and data pipeline systems
- Work with our Data team to build warehouses and pipelines that support data science, machine learning, and big data analytics efforts
- Mentor other engineers and evangelize solid design principles and development best practices throughout the backend team
- Collaborate with a cross-functional team of engineers, data scientists, designers, marketers, and business folks to support technical and product roadmap planning
- Extensive experience architecting, developing, and deploying scalable, cloud-hosted applications
- Considerable hands-on DevOps experience managing cloud infrastructure in AWS or GCP. Experience leveraging containerization/orchestration tools such as Kubernetes and Docker
- Proficient working with a variety of programming languages and web frameworks, such as Python (FastAPI, Flask, etc), JS (Node), Ruby (Rails), etc., but not tied to any one stack.
- Experience with a variety of database technologies (SQL, NoSQL, etc) and the competency to choose the right technologies for the job
- Experience with build automation and automated testing best practices
- Passionate about startups and the mobility industry
- Works effectively in a fast-paced, dynamic "startup" environment
Exceptional Candidates may have prior experience:
- Architecting and supporting distributed architecture/infrastructure for big data processing
- Building and supporting streaming applications (e.g. using Kafka, Pulsar, etc.)
- Scaling engineering systems and practices within a growing engineering team
- Developing and supporting ML-based services and product features
This position is full-time and is located in Pittsburgh, PA, USA. Remote employment is not an option at this time.
Why work at Gridwise?
- Build a platform that empowers an entire workforce
- Improve how people move about in cities
- Directly impact the future of our company and the mobility industry
- Competitive salary & stock options
- Medical, dental, & vision benefits
- 401(k) offering
- Flexible hours and remote work
- Unlimited vacation (two weeks minimum)
- Rideshare credits & free parking
- Choice between Apple or Windows equipment
- Company-sponsored employee talks & conference attendance
- Happy hours and company outings
- Great location in the Strip District!
If you’re interested in empowering rideshare drivers and building a smarter mobility grid, and feel that you’d be a great fit for our team, apply today and tell us why!